You should make mashed potatoes right away if you have never had them before. I think this will be a sign from the universe. I boiled these little taters until they were fluffy and tender on the inside, and then smashed them up and baked them until they turned crispy on the outside, and then I went a step further (because of course I did) and loaded them with all my favorite baked potato ingredients.
Loaded mashed potatoes are everything I have ever desired.
And it’s really delicious guys, Apronese loves this side dish, because it’s easy to eat and really simple to make.
The Best Potatoes for Smashed Potatoes
It is highly recommended that you indulge a little and purchase small baby potatoes, the kind that are about the size of a golf ball.
They cook quickly and have the perfect skin to flesh ratio so they are perfect for creaming up these mashed potatoes perfectly. Also, they are always so smooth and creamy inside.
Ideas for Loaded Potato Toppings
My smashed potatoes are pretty simple when it comes to toppings because I prefer to work with what I have on hand. I seasoned my smashed potatoes with some Everything Bagel Seasoning, topped them with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onions, and sprinkled them with some green onion and green onion juice.
- BBQ Sauce
- French Fried Onions
- Chopped Sweet Onion
- Blue Cheese
- Spinach Dip
It is possible to make your own everything bagel seasoning if you are unable to find it at a store. Here is a recipe to make your own everything bagel seasoning at home.
You might consider using Montreal Steak Seasoning (similarly chunky seasoning mix) or maybe ranch seasoning (mixed with the oil before brushing the potatoes with the seasoning). It is also possible to prepare a classic mix of garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper in place of the original mix.
Smashed Potatoes: What to Serve with Them
Whether you make these smashed potatoes for dinner or just to serve as a snack for a movie night, they are a great addition to your normal “meat and potatoes” dinner as they have classic flavor combinations that go well with so many different meals.
You can try them with my Baked Chicken Drumsticks, Honey Mustard Chicken Wings, Brown Sugar Roasted Pork Loin, Easy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, or even serve them as a snack just for movie night or even on their own.
Loaded Smashed Potatoes
A heaping serving of loaded smashed potatoes is prepared by boiling them until tender and fluffy, and baking them until golden and crispy, before they are topped with loads of toppings!
Servings: 5 (4 potatoes each)
- 1.5 lbs. baby potatoes ($2.99)
- 2 tsp salt (for the boiling water) ($0.05)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.32)
- 1/2 Tbsp everything bagel seasoning ($0.15)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar ($0.85)
- 1/3 cup sour cream ($0.39)
- 2 green onions, sliced ($0.22)
- The baby potatoes should be placed in a large pot of lightly salted water. Add enough water to cover the potatoes by about an inch. Salt the water by 2 teaspoons.
- If you are using a large pot, make sure the lid is on tight and heat the water to a rapid boil over a high flame. Once the water reaches a boil, boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes, or until they are very tender. You can test the potatoes’ tenderness by piercing them with a fork. They must be very tender to break easily.
- I also added a small bowl of olive oil and everything bagel seasoning into a small bowl while the potatoes were boiling. Prepare your baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 425oF. Make a small bowl of olive oil and everything bagel seasoning.
- In the meantime, drain the potatoes, let them cool for a few minutes, and then transfer them to a baking sheet. Gently smash each potato with a heavy-bottomed glass or use a potato masher to get them to get a relatively flat surface.
- Smashed potatoes should be brushed with olive oil and seasoning over their surface once they have been smashed.
- For the smashed potatoes to be golden brown and crispy, you will have to bake them in the preheated 425°F oven for about 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- In the same manner as you would have prepared the potatoes with the oven, remove them from the oven and top them with shredded cheese. Return them to the oven for a few more minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Last but not least, make sure to top each potato with a tiny dollop of sour cream and slice green onions before serving.
*There is a certain amount of sodium in the listing below, but that is a result of the salt added to the boiling water for the potatoes, most of which is thrown away after the water has been drained.
Serving: 4 potatoes ・ Calories: 276 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 25 g ・ Protein: 9 g ・ Fat: 16 g ・ Sodium: 1171 mg ・ Fiber: 3 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
Our equipment section contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate, I can earn commissions on qualifying purchases.
Loaded Smashed Potatoes Recipe – Step by Step Photos
It is very important to add 1.5 pounds of baby potatoes to a pot, and add sufficient water to cover the potatoes by an inch or more. Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the water as well to season the potatoes while they cook.
Cover the pot and bring it to a boil over high heat. The potatoes need to be boiled for about 10 minutes, or until they are very tender (test with a fork). Drain the potatoes in a colander and rinse them off with water.
In the meantime, preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 12 tablespoons of everything bagel seasoning onto the baking sheet, and cook the potatoes for 20 minutes.
When the potatoes have been drained and transferred to the baking sheet, use a heavy bottomed glass to smash the potatoes until they are flattened out a little bit.
After the potatoes have been smashed, brush the oil and seasoning over the surface of the potatoes.
During the baking process, once the mashed potatoes have been placed into the preheated oven, it is recommended that they be baked for 25 to 30 minutes, until their edges are golden brown and they are crispy around the edges.
After that, remove them from the oven and add 1 cup of shredded cheese, and return them to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
After you have removed the potatoes from the oven, top each with a dollop of sour cream and then sprinkle sliced green onions on top, and place them back in the oven until the cheese is completely melted.
Mashed potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your family’s evening meal, Apronese is sure.
Let’s change the taste and surprise the family members with their cooking skills, it’s really not that difficult to make. Please share your experience with everyone.