Another quick pasta recipe that Apronese want to share with you is this quick meal template: pasta + Parmesan + greens + bacon. Check out how to make pasta with bacon and peas in the following article.
What Pasta to Use?
You can literally use any type of pasta you have on hand for this recipe. Spaghetti, bowtie, fusilli, penne, or even ramen would work.
What Else Can I Add to This Pasta?
Here are other things you can add to this pasta with bacon and peas:
- Top with a fried egg or chopped hard-boiled egg
- Toss in a handful of fresh spinach
- Top with crispy fried onions
- Sprinkle on a dash of malt vinegar
- Add heavy cream to make it saucy
How to Make Pasta with Bacon and Peas
This pasta is a quick, satisfying, and inexpensive meal that you can make with ingredients that you have on hand.
Prep Time: 5 mins / Cook Time: 20 mins / Total Time: 25 mins
- 8 oz. pasta ($0.63)
- 6 oz. bacon ($2.06)
- 1 small onion ($0.32)
- 1 cup frozen peas ($0.50)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan ($0.44)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper (optional) ($0.01)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Once boiling, add the pasta and continue to boil until the pasta is tender (7-10 minutes). Reserve about a half cup of the starchy pasta water before draining the pasta in a colander.
- While the pasta is boiling, cook the bacon. Add the bacon to a large skillet and cook over medium heat until brown and crispy. Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate with a slotted spoon. Drain most of the bacon grease from the pan, leaving about 2 tbsp.
- While the bacon is cooking, finely dice the onion. Add the diced onion to the remaining bacon grease and sauté until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add the frozen peas and about 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to the skillet. Continue to cook and stir until the peas have heated through.
- Add the drained pasta to the skillet, stir to combine, and remove from the heat.
- Top the pasta with Parmesan, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and crumbled bacon. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.
Serving: 1.3 cups ・ Calories: 601 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 67 g ・ Protein: 22 g ・ Fat: 26 g ・ Sodium: 724 mg ・ Fiber: 6 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
How to Make Pasta with Bacon and Peas – Step-by-step Photos
Step 1: Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Once boiling, add the pasta and continue to boil until tender (7-10 minutes). Reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy pasta water before draining in a colander.
Step 2: While the pasta is cooking, begin the bacon. Add 6oz. bacon (or however much you have on hand) to a skillet and cook over medium heat until brown and crispy.
Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate with a slotted spoon. Drain all but 2 tbsp of the bacon grease from the pan.
Step 3: While the bacon is cooking, finely dice a small yellow onion (or half of a large onion).
After removing the bacon from the skillet, add the diced onion to the remaining bacon fat and sauté over medium heat until tender (about 5 minutes).
The moisture from the onion will help dissolve some of the browned bits of bacon from the bottom of the pan.
Step 4: Once the onions are softened, add 1 cup frozen peas and about 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water.
Continue to cook and stir over medium heat until the peas have heated through.
Step 5: Add the drained pasta back to the skillet and stir to combine. Turn off the heat.
Step 6: Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp freshly cracked pepper, and a pinch of crushed red pepper to the pasta, then crumble the cooked bacon over top.
Step 7: Stir until everything is well combined and coated in Parmesan. Taste the pasta and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.
Try these other quick pasta recipes:
This pasta with bacon and peas is definitely going on your regular rotation list. So make sure to save the recipe for the next time. And don’t forget to come back to Apronese for more delicious recipes.