This buffalo sandwich recipe is a new sandwich version on my list. Fresh avocado and a ranch slaw offer the right amount of creaminess to dampen the flames of the homemade buffalo sauce. You’re going to love this one! Follow Apronese to get the recipe for this!
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is a vegetarian protein source made from fermented soybeans, or other beans and grains.
It has a firm texture, yet soft, and offers a lot more in the way of mouthfeel than tofu.
Tempeh takes on the flavor of whatever you add to it.
Should I Substitute Tempeh?
Please do not substitute or leave out the avocado or ranch slaw. These two things create a perfect balance with the buffalo sauce.
I you take away any one of these three, the buffalo tempeh sandwiches won’t have its delicious flavor.
If you’re not into tempeh, you can totally do this with chicken. Either cook up pieces of chicken breast or thighs in a skillet, then drench it in the sauce, or use pulled meat from a rotisserie chicken.
What Hot Sauce Should I Use?
The flavor of the hot sauce will determine the flavor of your buffalo sauce.
I made the buffalo sauce with both Tabasco and the Louisiana Hot Sauce. The Louisiana sauce was better than the Tabasco. The Frank’s Hot Sauce is also pretty good, but I didn’t try that one yet.
Buffalo Sandwich Recipe
Spicy hot buffalo sauce, creamy avocado, and a rich ranch slaw makes these buffalo tempeh sandwiches perfect.
Prep Time: 15 mins / Cook Time: 10 mins / Total Time: 25 mins
Servings: 2 to 4 sandwiches
- 2 tbsp melted butter ($0.26)
- 3 tbsp hot sauce ($0.36)
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika ($0.02)
- 1/16 tsp garlic powder ($0.01)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 8 oz. tempeh ($3.19)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil ($0.08)
- 8 oz. coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrot) ($0.60)
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing ($0.31)
- 2 large hoagie rolls ($1.15)
- 1 avocado ($0.99)
- Whisk together the melted butter, hot sauce, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and salt. Set the buffalo sauce aside. The sauce may thicken as the butter cools, but it can be heated through again just before use to smooth it out.
- Add the coleslaw mix to a large bowl, then pour the ranch dressing over top. Stir until the shredded cabbage and carrots are coated in dressing, then refrigerate until you’re ready to build the sandwiches.
- Slice the tempeh into 1/4-inch thick slices. Heat 1 tbsp cooking oil in a large skillet over medium. Once the skillet and oil are hot, swirl to coat the surface of the skillet in oil, then add the tempeh slices. Fry the slices until golden brown on the bottom, then flip and cook on the second side. Add an additional tablespoon of oil for the second side if needed (tempeh tends to absorb the oil).
- Place the fried tempeh slices in a bowl. Reheat the buffalo sauce and stir until smooth (microwave 15 seconds), then pour it over the tempeh. Stir the tempeh until it is coated in buffalo sauce.
- To build the sandwiches, lay down a thick layer of the ranch slaw on a roll, then top with the buffalo tempeh and sliced avocado.
Serving: 1 serving ・ Calories: 1072.6 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 81.7 g ・ Protein: 37.9 g ・ Fat: 71.3 g ・ Sodium: 2514.95 mg ・ Fiber: 10.95 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
How to Make Buffalo Tempeh Sandwich – Step-by-step Photos
Step 1: To make the buffalo sauce, combine 2 tbsp melted butter, 3 tbsp hot sauce, 1/8 tsp smoked paprika, 1/16th tsp garlic powder, and 1/8 tsp salt. Stir until smooth, then set the sauce aside.
The sauce will thicken as the butter begins to cool, so you may need to reheat it briefly later just before you coat the tempeh.
Step 2: To make the ranch slaw, place 8 oz. coleslaw mix (that’s the bagged shredded cabbage and carrots that you can buy in the produce department) in a large bowl and add 1/4 cup ranch dressing.
Stir until the slaw is coated in ranch, then refrigerate until you’re ready to build your sandwiches.
Step 3: Now on to the tempeh. This is what it looks like. Slice the tempeh into 1/4-inch thick slices.
Step 4: Heat 1 tbsp cooking oil in a large skillet over medium. Once hot, swirl to coat the surface of the skillet, then add the tempeh slices.
Fry the slices until they are golden brown on the bottom, then flip and cook on the second side.
You may need to add an additional tablespoon of oil for the second side, as the tempeh tends to absorb the oil.
Step 5: Once the tempeh slices are golden and crispy, transfer them to a large bowl. Microwave the buffalo sauce for about 15 seconds to heat it up and smooth it out again, then pour it over the tempeh slices.
Stir until the tempeh is coated in buffalo sauce.
Step 6: Pile a generous amount of the ranch slaw onto a roll (either two large hoagie rolls or four smaller round hamburger-sized rolls), then top with the buffalo tempeh slices, and sliced avocado.
And that’s it! Your spicy and creamy buffalo tempeh sandwich is ready to serve! This sandwich would pair really well with cumin lime sweet potatoes. Follow Apronese for more updates!