This coconut rice is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. It’s rich, savory, carby, and delicious. It’s also pretty simple to make. Follow Apronese to get the coconut rice recipe.
What’s in Coconut Rice?
Basically, it’s just long-grain white jasmine rice cooked in a mixture of coconut milk and water, with a little minced garlic and salt for depth. It sounds so plain, but you’ll love its taste.
What is Jasmine Rice?
Jasmine rice is a fragrant variety of rice grown in Southeast Asia. If you use jasmine rice in this recipe, it will take the flavor over the top. So get it if you can.
While jasmine rice is more expensive than plain white rice, it is totally worth the price. You can use long grain jasmine rice instead of plain white rice in most recipes for an extra flavor boost.
What Coconut Milk to Use?
You’ll need canned coconut milk for this recipe, not the one that is meant to be used as a substitute for dairy milk.
For canned coconut milk, full-fat coconut milk creates an ultra-rich rice, while light coconut milk has a slightly more mild coconut flavor and the rice will have a lighter, fluffier texture.
Can I Use a Rice Cooker?
Yes, you can make this coconut rice using a rice cooker instead of in a pot on the stovetop. Just simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and press go.
What to Serve with Coconut Rice?
This coconut rice recipe is a great side dish for any Asian or tropical-inspired meal. Use it as a bed for Honey Sriracha Tofu, Teriyaki Chicken, Baked Ginger Salmon, or Sweet Chili Chicken Stir Fry Bowls.
Coconut Rice Recipe
This savory rice features fragrant jasmine rice, rich coconut milk, and savory garlic for a simple yet delicious side dish.
Prep Time: 5 mins / Cook Time: 25 mins / Total Time: 30 mins
Servings: 6 (about 3/4 cup each)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain jasmine rice ($0.48)
- 1 clove garlic, minced ($0.08)
- 3/4 tsp salt ($0.03)
- 1 13.5oz. can coconut milk ($2.29)
- 1 cup water ($0.00)
- Rinse the jasmine rice using a wire mesh strainer or a bowl, making sure to pour off as much excess water as possible. Add the rinsed rice to a pot along with the minced garlic and salt.
- Add the coconut milk and water to the pot. Give the rice a brief stir.
- Place a lid on the pot, turn the heat up to high, and allow the liquid to come up to a full boil. Once it reaches a full boil, turn the heat down to low. Allow the rice to simmer over low for 15 minutes. Make sure the pot maintains a simmer. Do not stir or lift the lid as the rice simmers.
- After simmering for 15 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and let the rice rest an additional 5 minutes without lifting the lid. Finally, after the rice has rested, you lift the lid and fluff with a fork. Serve hot.
Serving: 1 Serving ・ Calories: 295 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 39 g ・ Protein: 5 g ・ Fat: 14 g ・ Sodium: 303 mg ・ Fiber: 1 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
How to Make Coconut Rice – Step-by-step Photos
Step 1: Rinse 1.5 cups long grain white jasmine rice, making sure to pour off as much excess water as possible. Add the rinsed rice to a pot along with one clove of minced garlic and 3/4 tsp salt.
Step 2: Add one 13.5oz. can of coconut milk to the saucepot with the rice.
Step 3: Add an additional cup of water. Give the rice a brief stir. Place a lid on the pot, turn the heat up to high, and allow the liquid to come up to a full boil.
Once it reaches a full boil, turn the heat down to low. Allow the rice to simmer over low for 15 minutes.
Make sure the pot maintains a simmer. Do not stir or lift the lid as the rice simmers.
Step 4: After simmering for 15 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and let the rice rest an additional 5 minutes without lifting the lid.
Finally, after the rice has rested, you may lift the lid.
Step 6: Fluff the rice with a fork and then serve.
You can garnish your rice with sliced green onion and toasted coconut.
You can also try to make the following flavored rice recipes:
- Tomato Rice
- Yellow Jasmine Rice
- Spinach Rice with Feta
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Mushroom Rice
- Seasoned Rice
Try this coconut rice recipe to refresh your meals. And trust me, your family is gonna love it too. If you have any other recipe for making flavored rice recipe, please leave a comment below to share with us. Remember to follow Apronese for more updates!