Instead of making normal pizza dough, I decided to inject fiber by making a honey wheat dough. This dough is way better than my original pizza dough recipe. It is fluffier with a crisper crust. Follow Apronese to get the honey wheat pizza dough recipe.
Honey Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
This honey wheat pizza dough is soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour ($0.25)
- 1 1/2-2 cups all purpose flour, divided ($0.14)
- 1 cup water ($0.00)
- 2 tbsp honey ($0.21)
- 2 tsp yeast ($0.19)
- 3 tbsp olive oil ($0.30)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt ($0.05)
- In a small bowl, stir together the water (warm), honey and yeast. Let it sit 3-5 minutes or until very frothy on top.
- Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture. Next, stir one cup of whole wheat flour into the wet ingredients until evenly mixed. Stir in the all purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until you can no longer stir it with a spoon.
- Turn the ball of dough out onto a floured surface and continue to add in and knead the all purpose flour until the ball of dough is stretchy and soft but not sticky (about 3-5 minutes). The total amount of flour needed will depend on how much moisture is already in your flour but it should be between 1-2 cups of all purpose flour.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray and place the ball of dough inside. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let sit for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- To shape the dough, remove it from the bowl it was rising in and place it on a floured surface. Press the dough down into a large circle. This should be fairly easy since it was pretty circular in shape as it rose. Next, pick the dough up with your hands and transfer it to a pizza pan (coated in non-stick spray or sprinkled with corn meal). Press the dough out even further until it reaches the edges of the pan. Alternatively, you can pick the dough up and stretch it with your fists (this can take practice).
- Top the pizza then bake in a fully preheated, 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Serving: 1 Pizza ・ Calories: 1828.6 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 315.1 g ・ Protein: 45 g ・ Fat: 46.1 g ・ Sodium: 3554 mg ・ Fiber: 21.9 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
How to Make Honey Wheat Pizza Dough – Step By Step Photos
Step 1: Combine the warm water, yeast and honey in a bowl. Stir it up and let it sit until frothy.
Step 2: Add the olive oil and salt and stir in.
Step 3: Start by stirring in one cup of whole wheat flour.
Step 4: Then, working with 1/2 cup at a time, add the all purpose flour until you can no longer stir it with a spoon.
Step 5: This is what it looked like when I could no longer stir in flour with a spoon. A loose ball of dough.
Step 6: Turn the ball of dough out onto a floured surface and knead in the rest of the flour.
Keep adding/kneading in flour until the dough is no longer sticky but still soft and stretchy (about 3 minutes and 1.5-2 cups total flour).
Step 7: Form the dough into a ball. Oil a bowl and place the dough inside to rise.
Let rise until double (about 45 min).
Above is the risen dough.
Step 8: To shape the dough, turn it out onto a floured surface and press it down into a large circle with your hands.
Either pick it up and stretch it with your fists or transfer it to your pizza pan and press it out further until it fits the pan.
Step 9: Coat your pan with either corn meal or non-stick spray so that it doesn’t stick. Preheat the oven to 450.
Step 10: Top the pizza and bake it for about 15 minutes at 450 degrees or until nicely browned around the edges.
A super fiber-ific pizza (without cheese) and a glass of wine for dinner is enjoyable. Do you have any other recipes to make your pizza healthier? Leave a comment below to share with us. And don’t forget to come back to Apronese for more updates!