In my opinion, you have never had a spicy chicken sandwich with yogurt in it before. That might sound strange at first glance, but let me tell you what.
As part of my commitment to using pantry staples in fun and new ways, I created these Spicy Chicken Sandwiches to show how versatile yogurt can be and how it can be used both for sweets and for savory purposes.
Because the more versatile an ingredient is, the less likely it is that it will get thrown away, and at the office we do not like food waste.
As soon as I realized that plain yogurt could replace buttermilk in the breading for my homemade baked chicken nuggets, I knew I had to try it in sandwich form. In the end, it was almost the same process, with the exception that I added three layers of spicy heat to the chicken.
Yes. And the chicken was balanced out with a simple honey yogurt coleslaw that has just the right amount of sweetness to balance it out.
Without a doubt, Apronese believes that this is a delicious bread recipe that is easy to make and that many people love it.
Is It Possible to Reheat These Sandwiches?
The baked chicken sandwiches are definitely best when made fresh, which is why the batch size for these baked spicy chicken sandwiches is small.
However, I have had good success reheating the baked chicken in a skillet over medium heat.
While they are not as crispy as they are when freshly baked, they are still less soggy after they are cooked in a hot skillet. The hot skillet gets rid of some of the moisture, which means the breading is less soggy.
I would strongly recommend that you make a batch of my homemade ranch dressing for your slaw dressing if you are not into sweet slaws.
You can use it to make your slaw dressing instead. Ranch goes great with spicy chicken.
The ranch dressing recipe also includes plain yogurt. It would also be easy to make by just using some store-bought ranch dressing if you want to.
Baked Spicy Chicken Sandwiches
In these baked spicy chicken sandwiches, you will find three layers of heat between the sandwiches as well as a creamy, sweet coleslaw that can be made quickly at home.
Baked Spicy Chicken
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2/3 lb.) ($3.99)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs ($0.13)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt ($0.25)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne ($0.05)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.01)
- Freshly cracked pepper ($0.02)
- 1.5 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.06)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1 tsp hot sauce ($0.04)
Honey Yogurt Slaw
- 3 cups shredded cabbage slaw mix (pre-bagged) ($0.65)
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise ($0.17)
- 1/3 cup plain whole milk yogurt ($0.33)
- 1/2 Tbsp honey ($0.06)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard ($0.06)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- Freshly cracked pepper ($0.02)
- The chicken should be placed on a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet. Heat the oven to 425°F.
- It is important to combine breadcrumbs, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and a little freshly cracked pepper in a shallow bowl or container for breading the chicken. Once the breadcrumbs are combined, add the cooking oil and stir until the breadcrumbs taste like moist sand.
- You should place the yogurt, salt, and hot sauce in a large shallow bowl or container and stir to combine.
- The chicken breast can be placed on a cutting board, covered with plastic, then gently pounded and shaped by biting around the edges and then using a rolling pin or mallet, it can be pounded to an even thickness of no more than 3/4 inch thickness. Cut the chicken breast in half and season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Place the coated chicken on the prepared baking sheet with wire rack and dip it into the yogurt and hot sauce mixture, coating it completely. Then roll it in the seasoned breadcrumbs, again coasting both sides.
- It is recommended that you bake the chicken for 25 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, flipping it halfway through the cooking process.
- Prepare the honey yogurt slaw while the chicken is baking. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, the yogurt, the honey, the Dijon, the vinegar, the salt, and some freshly cracked pepper before adding to the chicken.
- The shredded cabbage slaw mix should be placed in a large bowl, the dressing poured over top, and the cabbage must be coated in dressing.
- After the chicken has been baked for a while, assemble the sandwiches by placing one piece of spicy chicken on each bun and adding a generous amount of honey yogurt slaw on top.
Serving: 1 Serving ・ Calories: 779.4 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 80.2 g ・ Protein: 48.9 g ・ Fat: 30.9 g ・ Sodium: 1768.05 mg ・ Fiber: 9.15 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer .
Our equipment section contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate, I can earn commissions on qualifying purchases.
How to Make Spicy Baked Chicken Sandwiches – Step by Step Photos
Prep the oven to 425oF. Place a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet to hold the breaded chicken. Add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to a shallow bowl.
Add 1.5 Tbsp cooking oil and stir until the mixture resembles damp sand after mixing the breadcrumbs and spices.
To prepare the yogurt, place 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon hot sauce in a wide shallow dish or bowl.
The chicken should be pound into an even thickness using a rolling pin or mallet, no more than 3/4-inch thick, and then placed on a cutting board covered with plastic to prevent splatters.
In a small bowl, mix together salt and cayenne pepper, and divide the chicken breast in half.
Place each breaded piece of chicken on the prepared baking sheet with wire rack, coating it thoroughly with the spiced yogurt mixture before dipping it into the seasoned breadcrumbs, once again making sure it is completely covered.
Once the breaded chicken is completely coated, place it on the baking sheet with wire rack and place it in the oven.
It is best to roast the chicken for about 25 minutes, or until it reaches a temperature of 165oF on an internal thermometer, turning it half way through.
I usually do this after about 15 minutes. As a way of flipping the chicken without the breading falling off, using tongs and pinching the sides of the chicken pieces rather than pinching the top and bottom will be the best way to do it.
This chicken with honey yogurt slaw is made while the chicken is cooking, so you will need to prepare it quickly.
I recommend you to combine 2 tablespoons mayonnaise with 3/3 cup plain whole milk yogurt and 1/2 tablespoon honey, with 1 tsp of Dijon mustard, 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt and freshly cracked pepper.
It is recommended to stir the dressing into the shredded coleslaw mix (coleslaw mix that is pre-bagged with shredded cabbage and carrots) and to mix thoroughly until all the cabbage is covered in the dressing.
After that, all that is left is to prepare the spicy chicken sandwiches. To prepare them, simply place one sliced piece of baked spicy chicken on each bun and top it with a generous amount of the honey yogurt slaw.
With a delicious dish like this, you must try it now to treat the whole family and remember to comment below to let Apronese and everyone know your experience and the recipe you want to share.