My air fryer arrived! In case you hadn’t heard, I finally bought one! The wonderful things I had heard about them just made me want to try one out for myself. Which was my first creation in my air fryer? Crispy chickpeas from the air fryer.
My favorite crunchy snack is chickpeas, because I already had a can on hand. They’re super easy to make, and I love the taste of them.
If you like snacks, don’t miss this easy-to-make, homemade dish that’s both good for your body and saves a lot of money on groceries.
What Are Air Fried Chickpeas?
A crunchy snack with a slightly dense and chewy center, air-fried chickpeas are perfect for snacking. The best thing about them is that you can season them with whatever spice blend you like, and they become quite addictive very quickly.
These crunchy chickpeas are not only high in fiber and protein, but they are also inexpensive, making them a great snack for your budget.
Are Chickpeas Need to be Dried?
To get crispy chickpeas, you must dry the chickpeas thoroughly before roasting them. You probably already know that if you’re used to roasting chickpeas in the oven, then you already know this.
Using the air fryer, however, you don’t have to take the extra step to dry the chickpeas before frying them, since the air circulates quickly to allow the chickpeas to become nice and crispy. In any case, if you do want your chickpeas to be extra-super crispy, you should dry them first.
What to Season with Air Fried Chickpeas
Listed below are some tips for adding flavor to air fried chickpeas. We use Everything Bagel seasoning, but you can really use anything that you like.
- Cajun seasoning
- Seasoning salt (Lawry’s)
- Steak seasoning
- Curry powder
- Ranch seasoning
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic and herb seasoning
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Taco seasoning
How Long Do They Stay Crispy?
It’s best to eat air-fried chickpeas right away (similar to eating stale crackers), since chickpeas absorb moisture from the atmosphere as they’re left out. It is possible to crisp them back up again by popping them back into an air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
Air Fryer Chickpeas
There is nothing better than air fried chickpeas. They are extra crunchy, take only minutes to make, and are a deliciously crunchy snack that is high in fiber.
Prep Time: 5 mins/ Cook Time: 15 mins/ Total : 20 mins
Servings: 4 (¼ cup each)
- 1 15oz can chickpeas ($0.88)
- 3 cooking oil, divided ($0.04)
- 1/2 Tbsp seasoning of choice ($0.15)
- One can of chickpeas should be rinsed and drained well. If you want your chickpeas to be extra crispy, dry them with a lint-free kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Add 2 teaspoons of cooking oil to a bowl with the drained chickpeas. Stir to coat.
- Make sure the air fryer is preheated to 400oF (if there is no preheat function, let it run for 2-3 minutes on 400oF).
- The chickpeas should be placed in a single layer in the air fryer basket. The chickpeas should be air fried for 5 minutes, then shaken to stir. Shake again after 5 minutes and air fry for an additional 5 minutes. After 2-3 minutes, check the chickpeas for doneness. If they are not done, add 2-3 minutes more (we give them 13 minutes total).
- To help the seasoning stick, drizzle the air fried chickpeas with the second teaspoon of oil and stir well. If necessary, season with salt and add your favorite seasoning. Let’s enjoy it while it’s warm and crispy.
Serving: 0.25 cup ・ Calories: 124 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 14 g ・ Protein: 5 g ・ Fat: 6 g ・ Sodium: 394 mg ・ Fiber: 5 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Step by Step Photos – How to Make Air Fryer Chickpeas
Prepare one 15-ounce drain by rinsing and draining it. can of chickpeas. A towel-drying step can be taken if you want the chickpeas to be as crisp as possible.
Place the chickpeas in a bowl with two teaspoons of cooking oil, then drizzle the oil over the chickpeas. Ensure that the chickpeas are evenly coated in oil by stirring them well.
Pre-heat your air fryer to 400°F (if it doesn’t have a pre-heat function, simply let it run for about 3 minutes at 400°F with an empty basket). You can then spread the chickpeas onto the basket and make sure that they are all evenly distributed.
Shake the basket after five minutes while cooking the chickpeas in the air fryer. (Photo above is after 5 minutes of cooking).
Once the chickpeas are ten minutes old, shake the basket again and test them for doneness. Add 2-3 minutes to your cooking time, or until the crispiness you desire has been achieved. We liked our chickpeas when they were lightly cracked and deliciously crispy after 13 minutes.
The air-fried chickpeas should be poured into a bowl, and the remaining teaspoon of oil should be added. Stir well to coat. Adding additional seasoning and salt to taste can be done at this point. Stir to coat. Let’s enjoy this.