Sweet potato corn cake is a fairly common cake that you can buy anywhere. But Apronese believes that, about how to make it, not everyone knows and does it. Because people are afraid of wasting time and effort, right?
It’s okay, this recipe simply takes 25 mins to make, it’s not too long to wait for a delicious and enjoyable dish like this, moreover it’s healthy, add a little extra cinnamon for a more appealing taste.
Are you looking forward to this recipe, read this article
How Does Sweet Potato Cornbread Taste?
As far as cornbread goes, this one is definitely a sweeter one, but it does contain a good amount of warm, aromatic spices that keep it from being too dessert-like as far as cornbread goes.
One piece of this rich, thick cornbread will definitely add a lot to your meal since it has such a thick and rich texture. It will pair well with both sweet and savory flavors.
Sweet Potato Cornbread: What to Serve with It
It’s not just about the subtle sweetness of this sweet potato cornbread, but it also goes great with a bowl of chili or anything BBQ, such as this BBQ Cheddar Baked Chicken with barbecue sauce.
It is also awesome with a cup of coffee if you’re up late. I have also been eating it for breakfast with a thick pat of butter and a fried egg on the side as well.
Leftovers: How to Store Them
Ensure that you allow the cornbread to cool completely to room temperature before you place the leftover pieces in a resealable container and place them in the refrigerator.
This cornbread freezes very well as well! I recommend that you wrap each piece of cornbread individually in plastic or waxed paper, and then store them all in an airtight freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Thawing them at room temperature or in the microwave can help you thaw them up quite quickly.
Sweet Potato Cornbread
An autumnal treat full of sweet potato mash, fragrant spices, and a rich, creamy sour cream, this Sweet Potato Cornbread is everything you could hope for.
Prep Time: 30 mins/ Cook Time: 25 mins/ Total Time: 55 mins
- 1 lb. sweet potato ($1.56)
- 1.5 cups yellow cornmeal ($0.36)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour ($0.13)
- 1/2 cup sugar ($0.40)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder ($0.12)
- 1 tsp salt ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg ($0.05)
- 2 large eggs ($0.52)
- 1/2 cup sour cream ($0.47)
- 3/4 cup milk ($0.23)
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.04)
- 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil for the skillet ($0.02)
- In a large pot, place the sweet potatoes in one-inch cubes, cover the potatoes with water over a high heat, and bring the water to a boil. Continue cooking the potatoes until they are soft to the touch and fall apart when pierced with a fork (about ten minutes). Drain the potatoes and set them aside.
- The inside of a 10″ cast iron skillet should be coated with cooking oil, and the skillet should be placed in the oven and preheated to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is important that you combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl until everything is well combined.
- Add the mashed sweet potatoes to a large bowl along with the sour cream, milk, and 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the eggs and whisk until combined, and then add the remaining 1.5 cups of mashed sweet potatoes. Mix well until everything is combined. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- If the sweet potato mixture is lumpy, add a little bit of the dry ingredients and stir them together just until the two are combined and no dry ingredients remain at the bottom of the bowl. It is okay if there is a little lumpiness to the mixture. Just make sure the mixture does not over mix.
- The batter should be scooped into a hot skillet once it has been preheated and carefully removed from the oven. Once you have smoothed the batter out to make it even, then the pan should be placed back into the oven to bake for 22-25 minutes. The cornbread should be puffed in the middle and golden brown on top, as well as slightly cracked around the edges. Remove the cornbread from the oven, and cut it into 8 pieces. Serve with butter.
Serving: 1ServingCalories: 373.49kcalCarbohydrates: 58.94gProtein: 7.13gFat: 12.29gSodium: 570.19mgFiber: 3.15g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
Make Sweet Potato Cornbread – Step by Step Photos
The sweet potato should be peeled, then cut into one-inch cubes and put in a pot, with water covering the cubes, and then brought to a boil over high heat. Let the sweet potatoes simmer over high heat until they are soft and fall apart when pierced with a fork (about ten minutes). Set the sweet potatoes aside once they have been boiled.
Once the sweet potatoes have been boiled, get out the skillet and begin to preheat the oven. Rub about 1/2 a tablespoon of oil inside the 10″ cast iron skillet, then place it in the oven and turn it to 425 degrees.
It is important to combine all the dry ingredients while the potatoes are boiling (or after they’ve been drained).
Mix together 1.5 cups of yellow cornmeal, 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir these ingredients together until they are very well combined.
To make the sweet potato mash, mash the sweet potatoes relatively smooth. In a large bowl, mix the sweet potato mash with half a cup of sour cream, half a cup of milk, two large eggs, and two tablespoons of oil.
I would like to recommend that you whisk all the ingredients together until fairly smooth. If you still have some small chunks of sweet potato, that’s okay too.
You can have the sweet potato mixture mixed with the dry ingredients in the bowl that you’ve already mixed, and then simply stir them together until well combined. It’s okay if it’s lumpy, just make sure you don’t over mix the batter. Sweet potato cornbread batter will be quite thick.
You will need to carefully take the preheated skillet out of the oven, scoop out the batter into it, then spread it around to make sure everything is smooth on top. Return the skillet to the oven for more than 20 minutes.
If you prefer, you can cook the cornbread until it has puffed in the center, and golden brown on top, with cracks around the edges. Cut it into eight pieces and serve it.
The sweetness of the sweet potato cornbread is enhanced with the addition of melted butter.
Yes, after completing a delicious sweet potato cake, snacking or eating in daily meals, according to Apronese, it is still delicious. You have to do it, to entertain your whole family, really. Share this recipe with your friends to learn.
Be First to Comment