If you’re looking for a new way to get your pizza fix as fast and easily as possible, this pizza roll up recipe is what you need. Plus, pizza roll ups stay good in the fridge for pretty much forever. Follow Apronese to see how to make it!
Pizza Roll Ups Filling Options
You can keep these pizza roll ups simple with just mozzarella and pepperoni, or add different pizza toppings inside the roll, like black olives, onions, or green pepper.
The trick here is to dice those ingredients very finely so they don’t poke out, tear the tortillas, or make them difficult to roll.
Soften The Tortillas First for Rolling
The most important trick with these pizza roll ups is to microwave the tortillas for a few seconds with a damp paper towel before rolling.
This makes the tortillas soft and pliable so you can get an extra tight roll on that mozzarella stick. It helps keep them from wanting to snap back to their flat position.
Pizza Roll Up Recipe
These pizza roll ups are the perfect appetizer or indulgent snack on busy days.
Prep Time: 10 mins / Cook Time: 15 mins / Total Time: 25 mins
Servings: 4 (2 rolls each)
- 8 small flour tortillas ($1.03)
- 40 slices pepperoni ($1.32)
- 4 mozzarella cheese sticks ($0.83)
- oil, as needed ($0.05)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce (for dipping) ($0.48)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Lightly spritz a baking sheet with spray oil or brush a thin layer of your favorite cooking oil onto the baking sheet.
- Stack about 4 tortillas at a time on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until they are steamy and pliable. Microwave the second batch when you’re ready to roll more.
- Slice each of the mozzarella sticks in half, lengthwise. Place about 5 pepperoni on each tortilla in the bottom 1/3 o the circle, then place the halved mozzarella stick on top. Fold the sides of the tortilla in to cover the ends, then roll them up tight light a burrito.
- Place the tightly rolled pizza roll ups on the baking sheet, seam side down. Leave them slightly apart from one another to allow hot air to surround the rolls. Either spritz the top with spray oil, or brush a thin layer of oil on top of the roll ups.
- Bake the pizza roll ups for 12-15 minutes, or until they’re lightly browned and the cheese is just beginning to ooze. Because every oven is different, begin checking on these pizza at about 10 minutes, then check every two minutes or so until they’re done.
- Serve immediately, with pizza sauce for dipping.
Serving: 1 serving ・ Calories: 417 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 34.23 g ・ Protein: 18.35 g ・ Fat: 22.65 g ・ Sodium: 1029.13 mg ・ Fiber: 4.53 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
How to Make Pizza Roll Ups – Step-by-step Photos
Step 1: Microwave the tortillas with a damp paper towel. They only need 20-30 seconds and I suggest only doing a few at a time, so they stay steamy and pliable as you roll these guys up.
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Step 2: Once the tortillas are nice and soft, lay about 5 pepperoni on each, then top that with half of a mozzarella stick.
Place the pepperoni and mozzarella in the bottom 1/3 of the tortilla to facilitate rolling.
Step 3: Fold the sides in before you start rolling them up. That will help hold in the cheese as it bakes.
Make sure to roll them up tightly and you can even press down on them after rolling to help crease the tortillas and keep them closed.
Step 4: As you roll them up, place them on a baking sheet seam side down.
For extra crispiness, spritz a little spray oil or brush a little oil onto the baking sheet first. Also give the tops of the pizza roll ups a bit of oil love.
Make sure to space them out a bit to allow hot air all around the roll ups.
Step 5: Bake the pizzas in the fully preheated 400ºF oven for 12-15 minutes or until they are golden brown and the cheese just begins to ooze out the sides.
Watch them closely, starting at about 10 minutes, and check every couple of minutes or so, since every oven is a little different.
Make sure to serve them with some pizza sauce for dipping. If you want to make your own pizza sauce, try this recipe for thick and rich pizza sauce.
If you love fun variations of pizza, try this pizza melts, pizzadillas, or homemade French bread pizza.
These pizza roll ups are the perfect homemade alternative to those classic 90s frozen pizza bites. Tortillas, pepperoni, and mozzarella sticks stay good in the fridge for a long time, so you can roll up a small batch whenever you want.
Be First to Comment