Pizzas are perfect to eat as an after-school snack. I took this pizza melt recipe to the next level by adding an herby-Parmesan butter to the bread to create an extra crispy finish. Read on this article of Apronese to see how to make it.
What Bread To Use for Pizza Melts?
It’s best to use some sort of sturdy bread for your pizza melt. If you use a soft white sandwich bread, it won’t hold up to the moisture in the pizza sauce.
I used a sourdough loaf, which gave my pizza melts even more flavor. A rosemary olive oil bread or some homemade focaccia would also be amazing.
What Else Can You Put on a Pizza Melt?
Here are a few ideas for adding other ingredients to your pizza melt:
- Diced bell pepper
- Red onion
- Bacon bits
- Feta cheese
- Banana peppers
- Sun dried tomatoes
Don’t use any ingredient that is very wet, like fresh tomatoes or canned artichoke hearts, since this can make the bread soggy.
Tips for The Perfect Pizza Melt
Cook it over a slightly lower heat. This gives the inside time to warm up before the outside gets too brown or burns.
It might take a little more patience, but you’ll get the most perfectly delicious grilled cheese or pizza melt.
Pizza Melt Recipe
Pizza melts are fast, easy, and the perfect quick meal.
- 1 tbsp butter, room temperature ($0.11)
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan ($0.11)
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning ($0.05)
- 2 slices hearty bread ($0.44)
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella ($0.19)
- 1 tbsp pizza sauce ($0.06)
- 6 slices pepperoni ($0.15)
- Stir together the room temperature butter, grated parmesan, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl until evenly combined. Spread the Parmesan butter over one side of each slice of bread.
- Flip the bread over so the un-buttered side is facing up. Place half of the shredded mozzarella on one slice of bread. Next, add small dollops of the sauce over top of the cheese, followed by the sliced pepperoni. Finally, add the remaining cheese. Place the second slice of bread on top to close the sandwich, butter side facing out.
- Place the sandwich in a skillet and cook over medium-low heat until golden brown on each side and the cheese is melted on the inside. Cut the sandwich in half and serve!
Serving: 1 sandwich ・ Calories: 451 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 30 g ・ Protein: 19 g ・ Fat: 28 g ・ Sodium: 991 mg ・ Fiber: 3 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
Our equipment section contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate, I can earn commissions on qualifying purchases.
How to Make a Pizza Melt – Step-by-step Photos
Step 1: Combine 1 tbsp room temperature butter with 1 tbsp grated Parmesan, and 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning. Mix them together until they form a paste.
Step 2: Spread the Parmesan butter over one side each slice of bread.
Step 3: Flip the bread over so the un-buttered side is facing up, then top one slice with 1/2 of the 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella.
Add about 1 tbsp pizza sauce in small dollops over the cheese to make a barrier so the sauce doesn’t soak into the bread and make it too soggy.
Step 4: Add about six slices of pepperoni and then top with the remaining shredded mozzarella. Place the second slice of bread on top, buttered side facing out.
Step 5: Cook the pizza melt in a skillet over medium-low heat until it’s golden brown and crispy on both sides and the cheese inside is melted.
Step 6: Cut the pizza melt in half and enjoy.
Check out these pizza mealt recipes:
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese
- Spinach and Feta Grilled Cheese
- Pesto Grilled Cheese with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Leave a comment below to share with us your results or in case you have any other recipes for making pizza melts. Follow Apronese for more pizza recipes!
Be First to Comment