It may be weird when you see hummus on a pizza. Well, it’s one of the best way to make a special vegan pizza using hummus as a replacement for the sauce and cheese. It’s really good!
The hummus is thick and rich like cheese and it’s almost as moist as sauce. Not to mention, it has loads of flavor for you to choose.
Now, let’s dive deep into this article of Apronese to get the hummus pizza recipe.
Hummus Pizza Recipe
This hummus and grilled vegetable pizza is a vegan alternative to classic cheese heavy pizza. Hummus adds the creaminess without using cheese.
Prep Time: 1 hr 15 mins / Cook Time: 15 mins / Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 large pizza dough ($0.37)
- 1/2 recipe hummus, any flavor ($0.99)
- 1 small zucchini ($0.47)
- 1 small summer squash ($0.48)
- 1 medium portabello mushroom cap ($0.84)
- 1/2 small red onion ($0.24)
- 1/3 of 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers ($0.67)
- 2 tbsp olive oil ($0.24)
- to taste salt and pepper ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, optional ($0.03)
- 1 tbsp cornmeal ($0.02)
- Prepare and knead the pizza dough. Place the ball of dough in a bowl, loosely covered, in a warm place to rise for one hour.
- While the pizza dough is rising, make the hummus. Add enough liquid to the hummus so that it is easily spreadable with a spoon. Keep the hummus refrigerated until ready to use.
- Wash the vegetables to remove debris. Slice the squash and onion into half inch thick pieces. Place the squash in a bowl and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Preheat a counter top grill and then grill the squash for about 5 minutes. Wipe excess oil out of the bowl the portabello cap and onion pieces. Grill them in the same manner as the squash. After the vegetables are grilled, cut into bite sized pieces. Also, cut one of the roasted red peppers from the jar into strips.
- Once the dough has risen to about double its original size (about one hour), begin to preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Prepare a pizza pan with non-stick spray and a generous sprinkle of cornmeal.
- Punch the dough down and, using floured hands, stretch it into a 16 inch circle. Using the back of a spoon, spread about half of the batch of hummus over top of the dough. Top with the grilled vegetables.
- Bake the pizza for 20-25 minutes or until the outside edges of the crust are golden brown. Cut into 8 pieces and enjoy.
Serving: 1 Serving ・ Calories: 482.48 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 96.73 g ・ Protein: 17.2 g ・ Fat: 18.63 g ・ Sodium: 1765.63 mg ・ Fiber: 8.78 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
How to Make Hummus Pizza – Step-by-step Photos
Step 1: Start by making the pizza dough. It only takes a few minutes to combine the ingredients and then 5 minutes to knead. Once you have the kneaded ball, place it in a bowl, loosely cover, and allow to rise.
Step 2: Make the hummus. Hummus only takes a few minutes to make, but you will need either a food processor or blender. Food processors are a lot easier to make hummus with than blenders.
Step 3: Next, use a small zucchini, summer squash, red onion (half), portabello cap, and 1/3 of a jar of roasted red bell peppers.
Step 4: As the counter top grill heats up, wash and slice the squash.
Place them in a bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss everything to coat.
The portabello is pretty delicate, so instead of tossing it with the rest, wipe the excess oil out of the bowl with each side of the mushroom.
Step 5: Grill all the vegetables (about 5 minutes per batch) on a countertop grill. After grilling, cut into bite-sized pieces.
Step 6: I prepare my pizza pan with a little non-stick spray and cornmeal. The crunchiness of the cornmeal on the bottom of a baked crust is great.
Step 7: Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and then stretch out to a 16 inch circle (flour your hands well).
Spread half of the batch of hummus over the top of the dough using the back of a spoon.
Step 8: Top it with the prepared vegetables and a little crushed red pepper if desired.
Step 9: Bake in a fully preheated 450-degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown.
And then enjoy your pizza!
So, I made this pizza by using this dough recipe and this hummus recipe. It took a while to make, but I was able to make use of the rise time for the dough to make both the hummus and the roasted vegetables.
How about you? Do you have any hummus pizza recipe? Leave a comment below to share with us.
Be First to Comment