In my opinion, what to do with browning bananas is a question that never stops being asked, which is why I made a batch of my Yogurt Banana Bread the other day.
I decided that I was going to change up my plan. In order to make the chocolate banana muffins that are so tasty, I added a little cocoa powder to the batter along with a few chocolate chips, and then scooped the batter into a muffin tin instead of bread pan to make it easy to portion out.
I keep them in the freezer for the days when I want something special to accompany my morning coffee and I can keep them there for days when I want something a little sweet to go with my coffee.
Well, Apronese can’t wait to send this recipe to everyone, it’s so delicious and so easy to make.
For the Best Flavor, Use Ripe Bananas
It sounds delicious to me that chocolate banana muffins would be a good idea, but you need to be patient and wait until you can find some brown, overripe bananas to make this recipe with.
When your bananas are over ripe, they are a lot sweeter and have a more intense banana flavor, and that’s exactly what you want in your muffins so that the banana flavor really comes through. They’re also easier to mash when they are soft and super ripe.
Chocolate Banana Muffins: How to Freeze Them
It makes me very happy that these banana muffins are already packaged in single-serving portions, making it very easy for them to be frozen and thawed when needed (or as you want!).
If you wish to freeze the muffins, make sure they are completely cooled to room temperature before you place them into a gallon size zip-top freezer bag and place them in the freezer.
If you would like to thaw them out, you can either set them aside at room temperature for between 15-30 minutes, or microwave them for approximately 30 seconds until they are warm and the chocolate chips are melted. There’s nothing better than having them with a cup of coffee in the morning.
Ideas for Other Muffin Add-ins
The best part of muffins like this is that you can play around with the add-ins (in addition to, or in place of the chocolate chips), and you can really customize these.
It is a classic to combine walnuts and chocolate with banana bread; however, almonds would taste a lot better with this banana-chocolate combo, too. Peanut butter chips would also go well with these muffins, as would something like shredded coconut.
Chocolate Banana Muffins
There is nothing better than Chocolate Banana Muffins for a sweet treat you can enjoy in the freezer, and the muffins are a great way to use up brown bananas and make sure they are not wasted.
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2-3 bananas) ($0.42)
- 1 cup plain yogurt ($0.67)
- 2 large eggs ($0.46)
- 1/2 cup sugar ($0.40)
- 4 Tbsp melted butter ($0.52)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract ($0.30)
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour ($0.23)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder ($0.21)
- 1 tsp baking powder ($0.02)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda ($0.02)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips ($0.70)
- Prepare the muffin tin by lining it with paper liners and preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- A cup of mashed bananas will suffice for this recipe. If you have less bananas than that, just add a bit more yogurt to compensate. If you have a bit more banana than one cup, you can add another cup of yogurt as well. If you have somewhat more than one cup, you can decrease the yogurt by slightly, compensating for the extra bananas by decreasing the yogurt.
- Make a large mixing bowl and place the mashed bananas in it with the yogurt, eggs, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk the ingredients together vigorously and turn the mixture into a large serving bowl.
- A separate bowl would be ideal for mixing the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- It’s okay if the mixture is a little lumpy, but do not over stir. Next, mix the chocolate chips into the batter following the directions on the package. Finally, pour the dry ingredients into the bowl in which the wet ingredients are placed and whisk together.
- As soon as the batter has been blended, divide it evenly between the 12 wells of the muffin pan and fill each well about 34 way up. Place the muffin tin in the preheated oven for 35 minutes and bake the muffins.
- Before serving, let the muffins cool on a wire rack after they have been removed from the oven, then place them back in the tin to finish baking.
Serving: 1 muffin ・ Calories: 232.86 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 38.8 g ・ Protein: 4.37 g ・ Fat: 8.02 g ・ Sodium: 233.58 mg ・ Fiber: 2.22 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
Our equipment section contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate, I can earn commissions on qualifying purchases.
How to Make Chocolate Banana Muffins – Step by Step Photos
The muffin tin should be preheated to 350°F and lined with paper liners. You will need to mash 2-3 bananas well with a fork. You will need 1 cup of mashed bananas to make the recipe.
If you have a slightly smaller amount of banana, you will need to add a little extra yogurt to compensate. In order to compensate for the extra banana, if you have a little more than one cup of banana, you may need to reduce the yogurt a little more.
Mash the bananas and add them to a large mixing bowl along with 1 cup plain yogurt, 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 4 tablespoons melted butter, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Combine these ingredients thoroughly.
The dry ingredients should be combined in a separate bowl with 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix thoroughly until all of the ingredients are combined.
I would advise you to add the dry ingredients to the wet and then stir just until everything is moistened. The mixture will appear lumpy, but try not to overstir as it will result in some tough texture.
The photo shows the mixture half stirred, however check the next photo for the appearance of the batter once it has been fully stirred.
Last but not least, fold a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips into the batter, making sure that you don’t overmix it.
This recipe should be divided equally between the 12 wells of a muffin tin. The batter should fill each well to the top of the muffin tin. Transfer the muffin tin to the oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
When the muffin tin is preheated, bake the muffins for 35 minutes. Once the muffins are baked, take them out of the pan and let them cool before serving them.
Chocolate banana cake, yes Apronese can’t have a delicious dish that is so simple, if you make this dish with the whole family on the weekend, it’s off the table, it’s too much for you to show.
Of course, not every recipe can’t change the ingredients, you can create your own and share it in the comments to let everyone know.