These fish tacos are super simple to make. They’re so easy, fresh, and not too heavy, which is great for dinner. Follow Apronese to see how to make fish tacos.
What’s in a Fish Taco?
In this fish tacos, I seasoned some white fish filets with a mix of chili powder, cumin, garlic, and salt, then cooked them up quickly in a skillet.
I topped them with cumin lime coleslaw, a slice of creamy avocado, and a couple of super thin slices of jalapeño.
What Fish is Best for Tacos?
I used cod fillets as they have a mild flavor that can be easily paired with any seasoning or toppings.
You can also use something like tilapia, halibut, mahi-mahi, snapper, or grouper.
More Topping Options
You can get creative with the toppings for these fish tacos. Here are some ideas:
- Corn salsa
- Cotija cheese
- Pico de gallo
- Lime crema
- Fresh red onion
- Avocado dressing
- Pickled red onion
- Sour cream
- Pineapple salsa
What Kind of Tortillas Should I Use?
Corn tortillas are the traditional option for tacos, but you can use whatever you like.
If you like flour tortillas or crunchy taco shells better or happen to have those on hand, use them.
If you’re using corn tortillas, toast them before making your tacos so that they’ll get the deliciously toasty corn flavor.
What to Serve with Fish Tacos?
Here are some ideas for what to serve with fish tacos:
- Quick Seasoned Black Beans
- Easy Taco Rice
- Roasted Sweet Potato Rainbow Salad
- Cumin Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Warm Corn and Avocado Salad
- Charred Corn and Zucchini Salad
How to Make Fish Tacos
These super easy fish tacos are the perfect quick dinner for hot summer nights.
Prep Time: 10 mins / Cook Time: 20 mins / Total Time: 30 mins
Servings: 4 (2 tacos each)
Cumin Lime Coleslaw
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise ($0.40)
- 1 lime (1 tbsp juice) ($0.50)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin ($0.05)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne ($0.01)
- 1/2 tsp sugar ($0.01)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1/2 16oz. bag coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots) ($0.75)
- 2 green onions, sliced ($0.22)
- 8 small corn tortillas ($0.80)
- 2 tsp chili powder ($0.20)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil ($0.04)
- 1 lb. cod fillets ($4.96)
- 1 avocado, sliced ($0.99)
- 1 jalapeño, sliced ($0.15)
- Toast the tortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat until browned on each side. Stack the tortillas and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Make the cumin lime coleslaw next. For the dressing, stir together the mayonnaise, 1 tbsp lime juice, cumin, cayenne, salt, and sugar.
- Place the coleslaw mix and sliced green onions in a bowl, pour the coleslaw dressing over top and stir to combine. Refrigerate until you’re ready to build your tacos.
- Next, season the fish fillets. Combine the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Cut each fish fillet into smaller taco-sized pieces. Season both sides of the fish with the spice mix.
- Add half of the cooking oil to a large skillet and heat over medium. Once hot, add half of the fish and cook for a few minutes on each side or until the fish is cooked through (it will feel firm, look opaque, and be easily flaked). Repeat with more oil and the second batch of fish.
- Top each toasted tortilla with a piece of fish, a slice of avocado, a small scoop of the cumin lime slaw, and a couple slices of jalapeño. Serve warm.
Serving: 2 tacos ・ Calories: 437 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 33 g ・ Protein: 25 g ・ Fat: 24 g ・ Sodium: 424 mg ・ Fiber: 9 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
How to Make Fish Tacos – Step-by-step Photos
Step 1: If you’re using corn tortillas, toast them before making your tacos. This gives them more flavor and helps make them a bit more sturdy.
You can keep them warm on a plate covered with foil.
Step 2: Prepare the cumin lime coleslaw so it’s ready to go when the fish finishes cooking.
To make the dressing, stir together 1 tbsp lime juice, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp slat, 1/8 tsp cayenne, and 1/2 tsp sugar.
Place 1/2 of a bag of coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots) in a bowl with 2 sliced green onions.
Pour the dressing over top.
You can also wait to pour the dressing over until just before serving, if preferred.
Step 3: Stir to coat the vegetables in dressing, then refrigerate until ready to build your tacos.
Step 4: Make the seasoning mix for the fish. Combine 2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1/8 tsp salt.
Cut 1 lb. fish into taco-sized pieces. Season the fish on both sides with the prepared spice mix.
Step 5: Heat 1/2 tbsp cooking oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add half of the fish and cook for a few minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
Repeat with a little more oil and the second batch of fish.
Step 6: To build the tacos, place one piece of fish in each tortilla, add one slice of avocado, a small scoop of cumin lime coleslaw, and a couple slices of jalapeño.
Step 7: If you have leftover lime from making the slaw, slice it into wedges to serve with the tacos.
And that’s all for the fish tacos recipe. If you love cod, try to make these cod recipes:
- Garlic Butter Baked Cod
- Easy Oven Baked Fish with Tomatoes
Make your favorite fish tacos with your favorite toppings as the instructions above. Leave a comment below to share with us your dish. Come back to Apronese to get more delicious recipes!