In all honesty, I made this salad just to showcase the lime crema, which is everything. I have been able to eat it all the time ever since I made the first batch of it.
This stuff is seriously life changing, and I have been unable to stop making it ever since.
With that in mind, I just threw together a bunch of my favorite ingredients which all came together as a beautiful natural rainbow of colors that made up this Roasted Sweet Potato Rainbow Salad (…with lime crema).
A colorful and healthy dish that Apronese would like to send to you. Be sure to read the following article and make it to entertain your whole family.
This salsa pairs perfectly with the following foods: Baked Beef & Black Bean Tacos, Chipotle Portobello Oven Fajitas, Cilantro Lime Drumsticks, Weeknight Enchiladas, Black Beans and Rice.
Rainbow Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Lime Crema
Meal Prep Ready
There are many ways you can make this salad into a week-night meal that you can prepare for the week ahead. It is as simple as mixing together all the salad ingredients and adding the dressing each day.
If you add some grilled or rotisserie chicken on top, or you roll it all together into a tortilla, you are all set to go. There is another fun addition I had been considering (but decided against in favor of keeping things simple) that I think would add some fun crunch.
I think this would be a very enjoyable addition. Of course if you are more interested in adding a bit of avocado or sliced jalapeos, you are welcome to do that.
For Even More Flavor, Use Roasted Frozen Corn
In addition to that, if you are close to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s, you could also make this salad even easier by using frozen roasted corn in place of my skillet charred corn.
The pre-roasted frozen corn is a seriously awesome product (and you can usually get it for a lot less money at TJ’s than it is at Whole Foods). I decided to make my own this time because I wanted to go the budget route and make my own this time.
Roasted Sweet Potato Rainbow Salad with Lime Crema
A medley of vibrant colors and flavors come together in this delicious roast sweet potato rainbow salad, which is complemented by a lush dressing that is packed full of flavor and color.
Servings: 6 (1.33 cups each)
- 8 oz. sour cream ($1.00)
- 1 fresh lime ($0.50)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced ($0.08)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
Roasted sweet potatoes
- 1.5 lb. sweet potatoes ($1.57)
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.08)
- 1 tsp ground cumin ($0.10)
- Salt to taste ($0.02)
- 1 lb. frozen corn kernels, thawed ($1.49)
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.08)
- Salt to taste ($0.02)
- 1 15oz. can black beans ( $0.99)
- 1 red bell pepper ($1.50)
- 1/4 red onion* ($0.25)
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro ($0.23)
- I recommend that you thaw the corn before cooking it if you haven’t already done so. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and set the corn to thaw.
- Taking the sweet potatoes and peeling them, dice them into small pieces (1/4-1/2 inches long). In order to get the sweet potato cubes to cook, you will need to drizzle some cooking oil, cumin, and salt on a baking sheet. Toss the sweet potato cubes in the oil and spices until they are completely coated. Bake the sweet potatoes for about 30 minutes, until they are soft and slightly brown around the edges. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool for a few moments.
- In addition to roasting the sweet potatoes, you can also prepare the lime crema. You can use a small-holed cheese grater or zester to remove the thin layer of green zest from the limes while the sweet potatoes are roasting. A tablespoon of lime zest and 1 tablespoon lime juice, along with the minced garlic clove and 1/4 tsp salt, should be added to the sour cream. Mix the cream thoroughly and then taste it. If necessary, adjust the lime juice as necessary. Refrigerate the cream until ready to serve.
- Cook the thawed corn over medium to medium high heat until it blisters and chars. Once hot, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and swirl to coat the surface. Once the corn begins to blister, allow it to char a bit. Do not stir the corn too often, allowing it to blacken slightly. Let the corn cool slightly before serving.
- You will need to finely dice the green bell pepper and red onion. You will also have to rinse and drain the black beans. The cilantro leaves will need to be removed from their stems and roughly chopped.
- It’s time to cook the sweet potatoes in their skins first. Remove the sweet potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Take out the blackened corn. Add the black beans and red bell pepper. Mix everything together. Add some lime crema and toss so that it’s lightly coated. Add a little lime crema over the top just before serving.
*It is a great idea to make pickled red onions with your leftover red onions, which are great to serve with tacos and burritos.
Serving: 1 Serving ・ Calories: 399.2 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 55.3 g ・ Protein: 9.72 g ・ Fat: 17.68 g ・ Sodium: 472.52 mg ・ Fiber: 11.45 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
How to Store Roasted Sweet Potato Rainbow Salad
This rainbow salad should be able to store well, even after it has been stirred together with the salt. However, I would recommend leaving the crema on until right before serving, as it might spoil if you stir it too much.
Step by Step Photos
Please prepare one pound of frozen corn kernels for thawing, if you are planning to char them in a skillet like I did, and make sure the corn kernels have completely thawed before you proceed.
Also, make sure the oven is preheated to 400oF, if you feel like cooking them.
It is very easy to make sweet potatoes by peeling and cupping about 1.5 lbs. sweet potatoes (two small sweet potatoes were enough for me, one really large sweet potato).
You need to place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet with two tablespoons of cooking oil on top and sprinkle one tablespoon cumin and a pinch of salt. Toss until all the potatoes are well coated in the oil and spices.
If you have preheated the oven, roast the sweet potatoes for about 30 minutes or until they are soft and slightly browned on the edges.
The total cooking time will depend on how large your sweet potatoes are cut, so be mindful. Remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly.
Prepare the lime crema while the sweet potatoes are roasting. You will need to zest a lime with a small-holed cheese grater (I use a small-holed grater).
Put about 1 tablespoons of lime zest and 1 tablespoons of lime juice into an 8-oz. tub of sour cream. Stir to combine the ingredients, and then taste and adjust the lime juice as needed. Refrigerate the cream until it is ready.
Add a small clove of garlic (minced) and about 1/4 tsp salt, and stir until the ingredients are well combined.
When you are not using frozen corn that is pre-roasted, heat a large skillet to a medium to medium high setting. When the skillet is hot, add two tablespoons of cooking oil and swirl the oil to coat the surface of the pan.
Adding the thawed corn kernels and letting them cook until they are brown and blistered on their edges is the way to go.
Be careful not to stir too often since this won’t allow the corn to blacken as it needs time to do so. Season with salt and let the corn cool a little.
I would like to provide you with the following ingredients: a 15oz. can of black beans, finely diced red bell pepper and a 1/4 red onion, and a handful of cilantro leaves that have been shredded.
The roasted sweet potatoes, charred corn, black beans, red bell pepper, red onion, and cilantro should all be combined in a large bowl or dish, and served.
It is very important that you stir all the salad ingredients together before serving. Ideally, if you plan on meal prepping this salad, you want to keep it in the refrigerator without adding the dressing.
When serving, you want to add some cream to the salad and stir until a light coating of cream has been achieved.
Add more cream to each serving. A touch of tart lime makes its way into the mouth more noticeable if it is drizzled on top and not only lightly coated.
And that’s it! This Roasted Sweet Potato Rainbow Salad is super fresh. So delicious, Apronese will introduce it to you.
Must do it now and show off your food to your friends. Let us know what they think about this dish in the comments section.