We believe that side dishes should be as simple as possible. Spend your time and energy on the main dish and don’t let the sides overshadow it.
So, today Apronese introduces an easy side dish recipe that can be prepared in a few minutes.
This simple side dish is made magical by lemon pepper seasoning. You might forget the rest of dinner and end up eating this Lemon Pepper Zucchini straight out of the bowl because the tangy, peppery flavor goes so well with zucchini.
What Is in Lemon Pepper Seasoning?
The lemon pepper seasoning consists of black pepper, lemon juice, salt, and sometimes other herbs and spices in small amounts. Several major spice brands make lemon pepper seasoning in the U.S. (McCormick, Lawry’s, Badia, etc.) and it is also usually available in generic store brands, which means you can find it virtually anywhere.
Also, we have seen several homemade lemon pepper seasoning recipes online, but we aren’t sure how those compare to store-bought.
A Guide to Browning Zucchini Edges
Because zucchini contains a lot of water, there are a few really important steps to ensure those delicious browned edges.
- When cooking zucchini, make sure the skillet is very hot because if it is not hot enough, the water will not evaporate quickly and the zucchini will simmer in their own juices instead of browning. In addition to getting a golden brown on the outside of the zucchini, the zucchini is also going to become soft and mushy. The longer zucchini cooks, the mushier it gets, so this method is great for cooking fast.
- Zucchini should be cooked in batches. If the skillet is overcrowded, the moisture will not evaporate quickly, and again, the zucchini will simmer in their own juices.
- Zucchini tastes better when served right away, as the residual heat will continue to steam it as it sits after cooking.
Lemon Pepper Zucchini Serving Ideas
Originally, I made this zucchini to go with my Spanish Chickpeas and Rice, which together makes a well-rounded vegan meal.
You could also pair this lemon pepper zucchini with Garlic Marinated Chicken, Garlic Butter Shrimp, Chicken Alfredo, Pesto Shrimp Pasta, One Pot Lemon Artichoke Chicken and Rice, Lemony Artichoke and Quinoa Salad, or Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Rice.
Lemon Pepper Zucchini Recipe
This Lemon Pepper Zucchini is a bright and peppery side dish that is sure to delight any dinner guest! Perfect for the bumper zucchini crop this summer, this dish is sure to impress!
- 1.3 lbs. zucchini ($1.32)
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon pepper seasoning ($0.15)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($0.16)
- You need to cut the zucchini into half rounds that are about 1/4 inches thick.
- Mix the zucchini and lemon pepper seasoning in a large bowl. Using a spoon, stir the seasoning into the zucchini.
- A large skillet should be heated over medium-high heat. When the skillet is very hot, add half the olive oil and swirl it to coat the surface. After adding half the seasoned zucchini, sauté (stir often) for about 5 minutes, or until the outside is nicely browned.
- After the zucchini has been cooked, transfer it to a bowl or serving plate, add the remaining olive oil, zucchini, and spices, and continue to cook in the same way. It should be served immediately.
Serving: 1 serving ・ Calories: 56.08 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 4.6 g ・ Protein: 1.78 g ・ Fat: 3.98 g ・ Sodium: 356.88 mg ・ Fiber: 1.48 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
Step-by-Step Photos of How to Make Lemon Pepper Zucchini
Prepare about 1.3 pounds of zucchini by cutting it into half rounds, each about 1/4 inches thick.
The lemon pepper seasoning we used is generic ALDI brand.
Combine the zucchini with 1/2 tablespoons of lemon pepper seasoning in a large bowl. Stir to coat the zucchini.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Once it is really hot, add about 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and swirl to coat the surface. Add half of the zucchini and sauté (stirring often) until it is browned on the outside. After removing the cooked zucchini from the pan, repeat the procedure with the second half of the oil and zucchini.
The best flavor and texture come from serving right away!
Apronese hopes this lemon pepper zucchini recipe will save you time so you can spend it with your family. Follow us for more quick recipes.