I’ll bet you are ready for another super easy meal prep (or weeknight dinner) with this jerk chicken with pineapple black bean salsa recipe.
This meal is so simple, but so yummy and delicious. Despite the sweetness of the pineapple salsa, the spiced jerk seasoning perfectly complements it, and the black beans also give the meal more bulk and protein without adding to the costs too much.
Moreover, this meal is both a delicious dish when it is served hot, and even better when it is eaten cold for a refreshing summer lunch when the leftovers are served cold.
A chicken dish that Apronese found that was really simple and easy to eat as well as suitable for many people. Don’t skip this recipe to treat family and friends
Jerk Seasoning: What Is It?
Generally, jerk seasoning is a spicy, savory, sweet blend of spices which is commonly used in Jamaican cuisine.
It is composed of spicy, savory, and sweet spices, including scotch bonnets, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves, and several others.
There are various varieties of jerk seasonings available, but they are commonly used as marinades for pork, chicken, or seafood, but the dry spice blend is often used as a seasoning for just about any food, even if it is not marinaded.
My recipe for authentic jerk seasoning requires several ingredients that I don’t usually keep in my pantry, so I purchased one of the preblended jerk seasonings at my local grocery store (see pictures below).
The Immaculate bites recipe for jerk seasoning is a great way to get started on making it if you want to.
Do You Think Chicken Breasts Can Be Substituted?
I am sure you will find this recipe just as delicious if you do not have boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could also use boneless chicken thighs, shrimp, or salmon instead.
Basically, the beauty of this jerk seasoning blend is that it works great with almost anything! In case you are wondering if you should buy some just for this recipe, don’t worry. I promise you’ll get much more use for the rest of your life.
Would Jasmine Rice be a good substitute?
In order to increase the vegetable content of the dish you are welcome to substitute the white jasmine rice that I used for brown rice, quinoa, or even something like cumin lime coleslaw as you like, or even savory coconut rice if you want to take it a step further.
And I think the combination of these flavors would be awesome with savory coconut rice as well.
Meal Prep It
You will want to pack the portions up into convenient single serving containers as this meal is easy to keep in the refrigerator for about four days, if kept in a refrigerator worth of food.
Pineapple Black Bean Salsa with Jerk Chicken
Jerk chicken with pineapple black bean salsa is the perfect recipe to keep your summer meals fresh and flavorful every time. It’s very simple to make, and it’s full of summery flavors you’re sure to love.
Prep Time: 5 mins/ Cook Time: 40 mins/ Total Time: 45 mins
- 4 cups cooked rice ($0.70)
Pineapple Black Bean Salsa
- 2 cups pineapple tidbits ($0.50)
- 1 15oz. can black beans, well rinsed ($0.89)
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion ($0.16)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro ($0.17)
- 1 lime ($0.75)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper (optional) ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste ($0.02)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2/3 lb. each) ($6.42)
- 1 Tbsp jerk seasoning ($0.030)
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.04)
- When you decide to cook your rice for this recipe, make sure you boil the rice first, so that it doesn’t boil over for too long. If you are packing this meal for meal prep, place the cooked rice in the meal prep containers and refrigerate it while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Preparing the salsa for the pineapple black bean curry begins with coarsely chopping the pineapple tidbits into small pieces similar to the black beans, and placing them in a very large bowl along with the rinsed black beans, diced red onion, and chopped cilantro. After the rice has finished cooking, mash the rice into a smooth consistency with a fork.
- The ingredients in the bowl should be sprinkled with 1 Tbsp lime juice as well as 1/4 tsp salt and red pepper flakes (optional). Add the juice and salt to the ingredients and stir well together, then taste. If more salt or lime juice is necessary, add it. If any limes are left unused, they will be cut into wedges before serving to drizzle over the chicken.
- You will need to pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel before making the jerk chicken. Then, use a rolling pin or mallet to pound the chicken breasts into an even thickness, with a piece of plastic wrap over the chicken so as to prevent splatters. Using your hands, rub the jerk seasoning into the surface of both sides of the chicken, making sure to make sure the seasoning is completely absorbed into each side.
- Cook the chicken until it is well browned on both sides and completely cooked through by adding the cooking oil to a large skillet, or preheating your grill, after which add the cooking oil to the skillet. When the chicken is ready, it should be able to stand up well at the center and the juices should run clear. If you wish to ensure extra safety, you should use an instant read meat thermometer and cook the meat until 165 degrees Fahrenheit is reached inside the breast.
- After the chicken has been cooked, it should be transferred onto a clean cutting board. After the chicken has been cooked, it should be allowed to rest for five minutes. After five minutes, cut it into 1/2-inch strips.
- As a food prep container or on a plate, place about a cup of the cooked rice, on top of which you should add half a cup of pineapple black bean salsa, the thinly sliced jerk chicken strips, and the remainder of the lime wedges. We have sliced the remaining lime into wedges and squeezed the fresh juice over the jerk chicken right before serving.
I used fresh pineapple because it was on sale for a really good price, but if you can’t afford fresh pineapple where you live, then I suggest you use frozen pineapple instead.
If you don’t have canned pineapple, then I suggest you use canned pineapple only when you don’t have access to fresh pineapple. Please be sure to buy canned pineapple that is 100% juiced, not syrup-based.
Serving: 1 Serving ・ Calories: 389 kcal ・ Carbohydrates: 67 g ・ Protein: 17 g ・ Fat: 6 g ・ Sodium: 249 mg ・ Fiber: 4 g
The nutritional values shown here are only estimates. Please see our full nutrition disclaimer .
Our equipment section contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate, I can earn commissions on qualifying purchases.
Pineapple Black Bean Salsa with Jerk Chicken – Step by Step Photos
As the rice cooks, you will be able to prepare a large amount of the rest of the recipe while it’s still cooking.
Start by cooking the rice. In order to prepare this meal, you need to cook the rice following the instructions on the package, and then transfer it into your containers if you’re planning to prep it.
Once you have finished preparing all of the other ingredients, refrigerate your rice in order to let it cool as you finish cooking the meal.
The pineapple black bean salsa can be prepared while the rice is cooking. It is important to chop about 2 cups of pineapple tidbits into small pieces, about the same size as the black beans.
While you could use fresh pineapple, you could also use frozen pineapple (thawed, of course), or canned pineapple. The black beans should be rinsed well, so they do not turn the salsa black.
Put the pineapple, black beans, cilantro, and red onion in a bowl after they are chopped and finely diced. Combine the pineapple, black beans, cilantro, and red onion.
There are many different types of seasonings that can be used in this recipe, but the most common one is adding lime juice, salt and a pinch or two of red pepper flakes (optional).
Give everything a good stir, then taste it and add more salt or lime juice if necessary.
As soon as you have dried two chicken breasts with a paper towel, pat them dry with a soft cloth and gently pound out a thick layer of plastic wrap over them until they become an even thickness.
Next, you will need to work on your chicken breasts. Thus, they will bake evenly (the thin end won’t burn before the thick end does).
If you notice, I purchased the jerk seasoning from the store not too long ago. That is basically the jerk seasoning that I picked up at the store a while ago.
As with any other brand, make sure to read the label to see if yours contains salt, if not, add some salt to the chicken breast as well.
In order to properly season the chicken breast, use jerk seasoning to cover both sides of the breast, making sure to rub it in so that everything is coated well.
If you choose to cook your chicken outdoors on a grill or a countertop grill like a George Foreman, or with a cast iron grill pan, or even using just a skillet like I did, you have a lot of options.
You can even cook it in a skillet if you prefer. It is recommended that you add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil to the skillet, then heat it over medium heat.
When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the chicken and cook it on each side until it is well browned and cooked for about 7 minutes or so on each side.
Check to see that the chicken is no longer pink inside and that the juices are running clear after the chicken has been cooked.
If you cut into the cooked chicken right away, you will not be as moist as you were when you first cooked it. This is because all the steam will escape from the chicken if you cut into it right away.
Resting the chicken for at least 5 minutes is very important. Cut it into 1/2-inch wide strips after resting.
You can also prepare this jerk chicken side dish by placing about a cup of rice on your plate, adding the pineapple black bean salsa to the rice, and topping it with jerk chicken strips.
Slice the remaining lime into wedges so you can squeeze some juice over the chicken just before eating it.
The leftovers can be eaten cold, like a salad with grilled chicken strips, or you can reheat your leftovers (minus the lime wedge) in the microwave if you’d like to. You can either eat them cold or reheat them in the microwave (minus the lime wedge).
Apronese believes that only the above recipe combined with everyone’s ingenuity will create an attractive dish suitable for this summer. If you create a new recipe, don’t forget to share with us more in the comments.